Prof Ray Ogden
BA(hons), Dip Arch(1st), PhD(Mech. Eng.)
Professor and Associate Dean Research and Knowledge Transfer
Director - Architectural Engineering Research Group
Director of the Tata Steel Europe Centre for the Building Envelope
Tata Steel Europe Chair of the Building Envelope
Specialisms and post-graduate research degrees supervision interests
- Sustainable design and building physics
- Offsite and modern construction
- Building envelope and environmental systems
- Structural design and development
Ray Ogden has supervised 7 PhD and 4 MPhil students to successful completion. He is currently supervising 8 PhD students and is a regular examiner of research degrees.
Years of relevant post qualification experience: 25
Professor Ogden studied architecture (RIBA parts 1 and 2) and a PhD in mechanical engineering from the University of Bath
As Associate Dean for Research and Knowledge Exchange in the Faculty of Technology Design and Environment he is responsible for all of the research portfolios in the areas of Built Environment (Architecure, Planning, Real Estate and Construction), Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, Computing and Arts.
He has worked for Arup Associates and the Ove Arup Partnership, and joined Oxford Brookes University in 1990. He is a former deputy head of the School of Architecture. Whilst at Oxford Brookes he has built an internationally recognised ‘Architectural Engineering’ research group specialising in building physics and construction. The group is notable for working on a ‘close to industry basis’ with a wide range of clients. It is one of Tata Steel Europe’s key strategic research partners. On behalf of the business, the group hosts the Tata Steel Europe Centre for the Building Envelope.
Prof Ogden has written and contributed to numerous books (>15) in the areas of building construction, building physics, structural design and offsite, and has been responsible for a wide portfolio of commercial, government, research council, EU and International research projects. His research cluster typically has a standing project portfolio of circa £1 million with current projects in the UK, and broadly across Europe.
He has been responsible for a wide range of research and live demonstration projects. Recent activities have included:
- Development of light steel modular building systems.
- Development of modular and offsite systems.
- Design of novel thin high performance cladding systems including vacuum technology.
- Provision of design guidance for low energy industrial, commercial and retail buildings,
- Large EU projects in the areas of low energy design.
- Profiled Sandwich Panels With Deep Foam Cores in Flexture. Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers: Construction Materials. Heywood, M; Ogden, R; Moutaftsis, D.
- A Case Study on Energy Consumption and Overheating for a UK Industrial Building with Rooflights. Applied Energy, 2013, Vol. 104, pp 337-344. Wang, X; Kendrick, C; Ogden, R; Walliman, N; Baiche, B.
- Thermal Mass in New-Build Housing: A Comparison of Structural Systems in a Future Weather Scenario. Energy and Buildings. Vol. 48. pp 40-49. Kendrick, C; Ogden, R; Wang, X; Baiche, B.
- Northlights or In-Plane Rooflights: Thermal Energy Comparison. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Energy. 2012, Vol. 165, No. 3, pp 149-158. Kendrick, C; Ogden, R; Wang, X; Walliman, N.
- Application of Modular Construction in High-Rise Buildings. Journal of Architectural Engineering. 2012, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp 148-154. Lawson, M; Ogden, R; Bergin, R.
- Use of Multi-Foil Insulation in Buildings: A Review. Construction Materials (Journal of the Institution of Civil Engineers). 2012, Vol. 165, No 5, pp 309-320. Ogden, R; Wang, X; Walliman, N; Kendrick, C.
- Metal Roofing on Residential Buildings in Europe: A Dynamic Thermal Simulation Study. IUP Journal of Science and Technology. 2012, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp 23-38. Ogden, R; Kendrick, C; Peacock, G; Walliman, N.
- Thermal Modelling of an Industrial Building with Solar Reflective Coatings on External surfaces: Case Studies in China and Austrailia. Journal of Building Performance Simulation. 2012, Vol. 5, No3, pp 199-207. Wang, X; Kendrick, C; Ogden, R; Baiche, B; Walliman, N.
- Evaluation of Ventilation Strategies to reduce Overheating in Typical UK Metal Clad Buildings With In-Plane Roof Lights. International Journal on Architectural Science. 2011. Vol. 8, No. 2, pp 37-46. Kendrick, C; Wang, X; Walliman, N; Ogden, R.
- Transpired Solar Collectors for Ventilation Air Heating. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Energy. 2011. Vol. 164, pp 101-110. Hall, R; Wang, X; Ogden, R; Elghol, L.
- Pre-Fabricated Systems in Light Steel and Modular Construction. CIB Publication 329, (International Council for Research and Innovation in Building Construction), pp 371-380. Lawson, M; Ogden, R.
- Development of Cold-Formed Steel Sections in Composite Applications for Residential Buildings. Advances in Structural Engineering, December 2008, Vol. 11, pp 651-660. Lawson, M; Ogden, R; Pedreschi, R; et. Al.
- Hybrid Light Steel Panel and Modular Systems. Thin Walled Structures 4B. 2008, Vol. 48, pp. 720-730. Ogden, R; Lawson, M.
- Dynamic Thermal Simulation of a Retail Shed with Solar Reflective Coatings. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2008 (2007 online)., Vol. 28, No. 8-9, pp 1066-1073. Wang, X; Kendrick, C; Ogden, R; Maxsted, J.
- Thin-Joint Glued Brickwork. Building in the British Context. Construction and Building Materials. 2008, Vol. 22, No 6, pp.1081-1092. Walliman, N; Baiche, B; Ogden, R.
- Vacuum Insulation Panels and their Applications in Buildings: A Review. Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers: Construction Materials, 2007, Vol. 160, No 4, pp. 145-153. Ogden, R; Wang, X; Walliman, N; Kendrick, C. Awarded the Howard Medal for the best paper on construction materials 2008 by the Institute of Civil Engineers
- Modular Construction: Lawson M, Ogden R, Goodyear, C Taylor and Francis, 2014
- Steel in Multi-Storey Residential Buildings. Authors: Lawson M, Ogden R, Lusby-Taylor P. Steel Construction Institute, 2004.
- Structural Glazing. (Interface Series vol. 4) Editor: Ogden R, Otlet M, Ryan P. Steel Construction Institute, 1998.
- Architect’s Guide to Stainless Steel. Authors: Baddoo N, Ogden R, Burgan. Steel Construction Institute, 1997.
- Connections Between Steel and Other Materials. (Interface Series vol. 3) Ogden R, Henley R. Steel Construction Institute, 1996.
- Building Design Using Cold Formed Steel Sections: Acoustic Insulation. Ogden R, Clough R. Steel Construction Institute, 1994.
- Electric Lift Installations in Steel Framed Buildings. (Interface Series vol. 2) Ogden R. Steel Construction Institute, 1994.
- Curtain Wall Connections to Steel Frames. (Interface Series vol. 1) Ogden R. Steel Construction Institute, 1992.