Professor Nicholas Whitehouse MBE
Visiting Professor, Senior Research Fellow,
Research Associate - OISD:T
Nick studied architecture at Sheffield University and gained B.Arch.(Hons) in 1969 followed by Architects registration in 1972 and chartered membership of the RIBA in 1973.
He has wide experience of the construction sector including past employment as a senior Architect in a Local Authority, as company Architect in a Design and Build organisation, as a Director of JVs in housing and a major PFI project and eleven years as Chairman and Managing Director of a leading offsite construction company until his retirement in 2007. Nick joined Oxford Brookes University in 2008 and received a MBE for his contribution to the building industry in the 2010 New Year’s Honours list.
Throughout his career he has sought to combine commercial success with advancing architecture and the building sector through innovation and cross discipline co-operation. He is currently a senior research fellow and visiting professor at Oxford Brookes University. He is also a member of the executive of the sectorial interest group “buildoffsite”. He serves on a number of charities associated with the built environment.
Involvement with his Profession and the Construction Sector.
- Past Chairman of Architects in Industry and Commerce (AIC), a special purpose group of the RIBA.
- Past member of RIBA committees for membership and standards.
- Past RIBA representative on various BSI technical committees.
- Served on CRISP committee: future building regulation requirements.
- Past Council member of SCI.
- Chairman of the RIBA conference on lightweight structures 1994.
- Contributed to the lecture series on Radical Architecture, De Montford University 1995.
- Contributed to the conference and a paper in conjunction with DTI and HMRC on R&D tax credits.
- Contributed to the HSE conference and a paper on CDM for Architects, Hull 1994.
- Profile- Book, Theory & Design in the Second Machine Age, Martin Pawley 1990.
- Profile- Publication,World Architecture (IAA) 1993, Face to Face, Nick Whitehouse.
- Consultancy; Enterprise Ireland 2009: on market requirements for modern methods of construction and offsite construction, including manufacture.
- A past member of the CPN(Construction Productivity Network) management committee.
- A past member of the MBE KTN(Modern Built Environment Knowledge Transfer Network) management committee.
- Founding and current member of “buildoffsite” and executive team.
- Patents-Named inventor in a number of construction related patents including cold formed steel structures and brick tile cladding- “corium”
Continuing research interests in the offsite sector at Oxford Brookes University and the management of test work at the John Payne Laboratory, Oxford Brookes University.
Recent and Current Activities.
- BBA, BRE, LANTAC, NHBC.