Prof Mike Jenks
Founder Director of OISD
Research interests and consultancy expertise
My research is multi-disciplinary with key interests that relate to urban sustainability, especially the integration of environmental, social and economic sustainability. Specific research relates to the compact city and sustainable urban form, and intensification of development in urban areas.
Examples of recent projects
- Earth System Sciences for Global Sustainability – funded by Agence National de la Recherche, France.
- City Form: India, - funded by British Council, EPSRC and Indian Government for network support.
- Independent Evaluator for the UCL/UEL ‘Building Sustainable Communities’ – funded by HEIF.
- CityForm: the Sustainable Urban Form Consortium – funded by EPSRC.
- Creating Sustainable Cities – funded by Global Opportunities Fund, British Embassy, Tokyo.
- Sustainable Development and the Management of Urban Form - NZ consortium funded by the New Zealand Foundation for Research, Science and Technology.
Examples of books and chapters in books
- Jenks, M. (2013) ‘Can Sustainable Cities be Secure Cities?’ Proceedings of the 6th Ajman International Urban Planning Conference, City and Security, UAE, pp.182-193.
- Jenks, M and Jones, C.A. (2010) Dimensions of the Sustainable City. Springer, Netherlands.
- Jenks, M (2009). ‘From the compact city to the defragmented city: another route towards sustainable urban form? In Radovic, D., Eco-Urbanity: towards well-mannered built environments, Routledge, Oxford.
- Jenks, M, Kozak, D and Takkanon, P (2008) World Cities and Urban Form: Fragmented, Polycentric, Sustainable? Routledge, Oxford.
- Jenks, M. and Dempsey, N. (2005). Future Forms and Design for Sustainable Cities. Architectural Press, Oxford.
- Jenks, M. and Burgess, R. (2000) Compact Cities: Sustainable Urban Forms for Developing Countries, E & F N Spon, London.
- Williams, K., Burton, E. and Jenks, M. (2000) Achieving Sustainable Urban Form, E & F N Spon, London.
- Jenks, M, Noble, J. and Pattacini, L. (2000) Creating Places: Achieving Quality in Residential Developments, DoE Northern Ireland, Corporate Document Services, Leeds.
- Jenks, M, Burton, E. and Williams, K. (1996) The Compact City: A Sustainable Urban Form? E&FN Spon, London.
Examples of articles and reports
- Jenks, M. ‘A just city is a safer city’ (2013) The Cities Café, 1(1), Equinox, ISSN 2346-9099
- Jenks, M., Hegron, G. and Bueso, P. (2011) Sustainable Urban Environments, report to ANR and Research Ministry, (with G. Hegron and P. Bueso)
- Dempsey, N. and Jenks, M. (2010) ‘The Future of the Compact City’, Built Environment, 36(1), pp. 116-121,(with N. Dempsey)
- Jenks, M. and Dair, C. (2008) Independent Evaluator’s Report on UrbanBuzz: Building Sustainable Communities, report to HEIF.
- Jenks, M. and Dempsey, N. (2007) ‘Defining the Neighbourhood: challenges for empirical research’ Town Planning Review, 78(2), pp.153-177.
- Jenks, M. (2006) ‘Sustainable Urban Design: an absence of evidence?’ in Porta, S. ed. The longest error in the world? Libreria Clup, Milan, pp.17-27, (accepted for the Venice Biennale)
- Jenks, M. (2005) ‘Worlds Apart: urban form and globalisation in Bangkok’, Raneang, Vol.4, 10th edn., Kasetsart University, Bangkok (internationally peer reviewed), pp 108-117.
- Jenks, M. (2003) 'Above and below the line: globalisation and urban form in Bangkok', Annals of Regional Science, 37, pp 547-557.
Examples of recent conference papers
- Jenks, M. Can Sustainable Cities be Secure Cities? Keynote, 6th Ajman International Urban Planning Conference, ‘City and Security’, UAE, (March 2013).
- Jenks, M. Making Cities Sustainable: Transformation through Compact City Policies. Keynote, OECD conference on Compact Cities and Green Growth, Tokyo, Japan (September 2012)
- Jenks, M. The Making of City Identity: Globalisation Matters? Qatar Urban Forum, MIPIM International Conference, Cannes, France, (March 2012) http://youtu.be/mxsYZAT6Qxs
- Jenks, M. A Future for the Sustainable City? Gujarat Institute of Civil Engineers and Architects (GICEA). Ahmedabad, India, (January 2012)
- Jenks, M. Towards City Sustainability, CityForm India Conferences at Habitat, New Delhi, and CEPT University, Ahmedabad, India, (January 2012)
- Jenks, M. Urban Environments: Complexity and Integration Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand (March 2011)
- Jenks, M. Future Cities: Future Forms 5th Ajman International Urban Planning Conference, Ajman, UAE, (March 2011)
- Jenks, M. Designing the Waterfront: a kilometre inland? 4th Ajman International Urban Planning Conference, Ajman, UAE, (March 2010)
- Jenks, M. The Compact and Sustainable City: Avoiding the Day after Tomorrow, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand (February 2010)
- Jenks, M. CityForm: Researching Complex Urban Environments, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand, (January 2010)
- Jenks, M. The Sustainable City: Myth or Reality?, The Paul Smales Lecture, Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society, Falmouth, Cornwall, (October 2009)
- Jenks, M. Compact Cities and Sustainable Urban Design, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia, (March 2009)
- Jenks, M. The Sustainable City: Planning a world class future, Ajman Urban Planning Conference, Ajman Emirate Municipality, Ajman University of Science and Technology, UAE, (March, 2008)
- Jenks, M. Sustainable Approaches for the Compact City, GEST2007, National Assembly, Seoul, Korea (November 2007)
- Jenks, M. From the Compact City to the ‘Defragmented’ City: another route towards sustainable urban form? Eco-urbanity: Towards the well-mannered built environment, Centre for Sustainable Urban Regeneration (cSUR), University of Tokyo, Japan (September, 2007).
- Jenks, M. The Compact and Sustainable City, Public Lecture at the University of Technology Malaysia, Johor Bahru, Malaysia, (February 2007).
- Jenks, M. World Cities and Urban Form: fragmented or polycentric and sustainable?, 7th Symposium of the International Urban Planning and Environment Association (UPE) on ‘World Class Cities: Environmental Impacts, Planning Opportunities?’, Chulabhorn Research Institute, Bangkok, Thailand (January, 2007).
- Jenks, M. Sustainable Urban Design: an absence of evidence?, ‘The longest error in the world’, International Seminar, Milan Polytechnic, Milan (2006).
- Jenks, M., Dempsey, N and Bramley, G. Defining the Neighbourhood: empirical challenges’ Planning research Conference ‘Global Places, Local Spaces’, UCL (2006).
- Jenks, M. Urban Sustainability: Global Issues, Local Solutions? 10th International Conference ‘Globalisation and Urban Development’, EU Alfa-IBIS Research Network, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands (2005).
- Jenks, M. Sustainable Urban Forms and Liveable Cities, invited keynote conference paper, Tajimi, Japan (2005).