Bsc(Hons) DipArch, PGDipArc, ARB
Undergraduate Unit H Design Tutor
Jonathan is a London based ARB registered Architect and Production Designer holding a Bachelor of Science and Post Graduate Diploma in Architecture from the Bartlett, UCL.
His work has featured in international design journals, publications, seminars and exhibitions, including 'Freedom of Speech in the City’ in Barcelona, Tokyo Designers Week and London Design Festival, RMIT Kerb Journal and the Department of Planning Unit UCL.
As an architect, Jonathan has over eight years experience working in the construction industry, having worked with studio8 Architects, Squire and Partners, Scabal and Consarc Architects. At the latter, Jonathan was Project Architect on the recently completed Oriental Club redevelopment project, a new build extension and refurbishment to the Grade I listed building, Stratford House in London.
Jonathan has over seven years experience working in architectural education. Between 2006-08, Jonathan was subject coordinator for the Architecture foundation course at the Cambridge School of Visual and Performing Arts (CSVPA). Jonathan was associate lecturer on the MArch course at Oxford Brookes University from 2010 to 2012 alongside professors Andrew Holmes and David Greene.
Jonathan is currently a design tutor at undergraduate design studio Unit H at Oxford Brookes University as well as the first year degree programme and postgraduate Unit 16 at the University of Greenwich.
I believe that teaching should not be prescribed. In an industry where an Architect's services are based on one's ability to be propositional, it is important that a student embraces, through education, how to to take ownership of their ideas, how to articulate them succinctly, and moreover how to refine them with conviction.
Research Interest and consultancy expertise:
My work and research focuses on the ‘re-illustration of post-colonial themes such as freedom of speech and expression, identity and migration which are executed through diverse media such as cartography, film, full-scale installations and architectural interventions.
Examples of recent projects:
- Production Designer on the feature film 'Simshar', exploring recent trends of illegal immigration in the Mediterranean and the impact on local communities on the islands of Malta and Lampedusa. - Pre-production
- Project Architect on the 'Oriental Club Redevelopment' a new build extension and refurbishment to the Grade I listed building, Stratford House in London. - Completed
- Project Architect on 'St Michaels Community Centre', Camberwell. - Pre-planning
- Project Architect on 'The Blue Nile Social Club', Woolwich - Currently awaiting planning consents
- October 2012 - EXPLORING THE POLITICAL AGENCY OF MAPPING AND MAPS, Development Planning Unit, UCL,
- September 2011 - DERDJA, London Design Festival 2011
- August 2010 - ‘PINK MONOLITH’, Bartlett Summer School 2010
- October 2009 - THE ALGAE ROOM, Tokyo Designers Week 2009
- June 2009 - FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN THE CITY, Plantazero Gallery, Barcelona
- November 2007 - IMAGINARY HOMELANDS: SALMAN RUSHDIE IN HIS STUDY 1991, UCL, London
- October 2006 - COLONISING WITH TEA, UCL, London
- October 2003 - ILLUMINATION, Cardigan, Wales
- November 2001 - BANDSTAND SHELTER, Old Street, London
- August 2012 - KERBJOURNAL 20 Publication, RMIT
- April 2012 - BEHANCE ART Served (online)
- September 2011 - DERDJA, London Design Festival Catalogue 2011
- July 2010 - FORGOTTEN SPACES, RIBA Forgotten Spaces Competition Catalogue 2010
- December 2009 - FOOTPRINT MAGAZINE (online) The Algae Room, Tokyo Designers Week 2009
- December 2009 - BD ONLINE , The Algae Room, Tokyo Designers Week 2009
- November 2009 - AJ NOTEBOOK (online), The Algae Room, Tokyo Designers Week 2009
- October 2009 - TOKYO DESIGNERS WEEK 2009, The Algae Room, Tokyo Designers Catalogue 2009
- October 2009 - PECHAKUCHANIGHT 20X20, PechaKucha Catalogue.
- October 2009 - ISN’T MY NEW FAÇADE SEXY, Oxford University Lecture Series Publication
- February 2009 - HABITAT FUTURA (with Calderon Folch Arquitectes.)
- September 2006 - DEVICES: A MANUAL OF ARCHITECTURAL + SPATIAL MACHINES