THE ARCHITECTURAL ENGINEERING GROUP
OISD: Architectural Engineering is an interdisciplinary group working in the fields of construction technology, structures, building physics and sustainability. The group is involved in both pure and 'close to 'industry' research with a wide portfolio of UK, European and International activities. It has a broad technical skill base that includes architecture, building physics, structural and mechanical engineering and construction economics.
In 2008 the group was awarded the Howard Medal from the Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) for their paper 'VIP and their applications in building: a review'.
- Modern methods of construction and prefabrication
- Sustainable building design
- Construction and life cycle costing
- Steel, concrete, timber, masonry and glass construction
- Construction design guidance and regulation
- Building physics including: thermal, acoustic, structural and air-tightness testing and analysis
- Building envelope systems
- Product and systems development
- CAD and computer modelling
The Group has a powerful portfolio of skills in the areas of construction technology and building physics and a long and consistent record of close to industry and pure research.
It has recently acquired new laboratory facilities, which complements the already excellent computer based facilities. These two combined will, I am sure, bring more benefits to the ongoing development within the construction industry in general and to the building envelope and offsite sectors in particular.
Ian Clarke, Applications Development Manager, Tata Steel Colors